There is just one single present tense in French, unlike in English where the present tense has two different forms, the present simple and the present progressive, The Present Tense in French, le temps présent, is used to express both momentary action and progressive action.
How do you know if something is past or present tense in French?
The past tense is used when you talk about an action that took place and was completed in the past. To form the past tense, you use this formula: present tense of the verb avoir or être + the past participle.
How do you indicate present tense?
You can write in present tense by simply using the root form of the word. However, if you’re writing in third person singular, you need to add -s, -ies, or -es. First person singular: I go swimming every day. Third person singular: She goes swimming every day.
How do you use the present tense in French?
To form the present tense of a regular -ir verb, drop the -ir of the infinitive to get the stem for the present tense conjugation. Then add the present tense endings specific to -ir verbs: -is, -is, -it, -issons, -issez, -issent.
How is the present tense made in French?
To conjugate a verb in the French present tense, we add specific endings to the infinitive of the verb depending on whether it ends in -er, -ir or -re.
What are the three ways to write simple present tense?
There are three ways to make a verb into the simple present tense: 1. You use the verb’s present form. 2.
Forming the Present Simple Tense
- Use the present form of the verb. …
- Add s to present form of the verb. …
- Add es to the present form of the verb.
How do you write simple present tense examples?
- He goes to school every morning.
- She understands English.
- It mixes the sand and the water.
- He tries very hard.
- She enjoys playing the piano.
How do you say present in French?
French translation of ‘present’
- 1. (= current) actuel(le) the present situation la situation actuelle. in the present day aujourd’hui. …
- 2. (= in attendance) présent(e) The whole family was present. Toute la famille était présente. …
- 3. (= in existence) présent(e) to be present in sth être présent dans qch.
How many present tenses are there in French?
French has three tenses: Present.
How do you form the present tense in French BBC Bitesize?
How to use regular -ER verbs in the present tense
- Rule: Remove the -er from the end of the infinitive and add the appropriate ending for each pronoun.
- Infinitives are the basic form of a verb, before any changes for tense or people are made - like jouer (to play) or vendre (to sell).
- For example, jouer (to play):